In 1950 the YMCA began to provide services to the community in Jerusalem, in a small building that today houses the British Council. The building included a guest house, an evening school to teach languages and accounting, and a game room. In the backyard of the building, Issa al-Tams offered training in weightlifting and body-building, and Nadi Khoury coached gymnastics, basketball, and tennis at the St. George’s School sports field across the street.
In 1965, the new YMCA facilities at 29 Nablus Road were built. The building consisted of a hotel, an auditorium, and the physical department, which housed the first indoor swimming pool and the first squash court in Palestine, as well as an indoor volleyball court, a basketball half-court, a weight room, and a youth lobby for table tennis and indoor games. The outdoor playgrounds at St. George’s School were the foundation of a professional sports infrastructure for the Palestinian community.  In 1966 Prince Ra’ed Ben Zeid opened the East Jerusalem-YMCA sports facilities, and in 1966 and 1967, the YMCA organized and hosted the basketball championship games for the Jordanian teams.